FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper

James Leifer James.Leifer at inria.fr
Thu Dec 23 14:29:29 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm running hoary on a Dell Latitude X300 with a Broadcom BCM4306 wifi
card.  In an attempt to get wireless working, I've followed the
instructions ``How To - Set up Ndiswrapper''

   http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/howto/ndiswrapper

First I installed ndiswrapper-utils, and ran it with

   ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5a.inf

Now, I'd like to load the ndiswrapper modules:

   modprobe ndiswrapper

but this gives the error:

FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-3-386/kernel/drivers/net/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid module format

I tried with 2.6.8.1-3-386 (version 19) from hoary.  I had the same
problem with 2.6.9 from hoary as well.

Any suggestions?

Googling found similar cases, but no help.

Many thanks,
-James Leifer