[proposal] Newbie-FAQ or Everything You Always Wanted To Ask About Ubuntu But Were Afraid To Ask

Lehofer, Meinhard nl at lehofer.net
Thu Dec 23 12:25:35 UTC 2004

Hi ALL,

I like the initiative for a newbie guide, and really suggest a step by
step and „take the child by the hand“ approach. I can recommend doing a
„virtual installation“ perhaps creating a virtual newbie (called Bill G.
;) to ensure a use-centric and problem solving approach. It is very
motivating, if the guide deals with the actual thing, in this case
installing and using ubuntu. This method worked very well in workshops
about the formation of companies or societies.

So the guide should start something like this:

Where to get ubuntu, preparing for Installation

a) Download an brun an CD

b) oder CDs from canonical

Installing Ubuntu

Insert CD

boot from CD

Boot options

using partitions

apt to synaptic translation

When looking you for help, you often find instructions for the
commandline. That's perfectly sane, because providing „# apt get
install“-lines is much more efficient than lots of synaptic screenshots.
But a newbies and windows/mac migrants are certainly better off with an
visual solution, synaptic. They are used to „a click and see“ gui and
from my experience most see the commandline as old fashioned, outdated
and overwhelmingly complex. It is simply not the way they are used to work.

Repositories:

For me, repositories are the place where I get (almost all) programmes.
we should provide at least a sample sources.list file, perhaps several
(like Universe enabled or not, lists for the mirrors to speed things up
(and help canonical's bills), multimedia and other repos).

Repos are also the place from where I get security updates and some
documentation. I feel Wander's explanation is already to abstract and
“techie”.

I really like the initiative and am willing to help. I my opinion Ubuntu
in its present state is NOT newbie ready, compared to Mandrake for
example. But an easy to understand, step by step guide would be a way to
get around that bend.