Antivirus Software

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 08:36:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:53:18 +0000, Ben Edwards <funkytwig at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have put someone I know who sells hardware onto Ubuntu.  They are
> very interesting on suplying pre-configured systems (They recon they
> can do a basic system for £399 inc VAT with a TFT screen).
>
> Anyway today I got an email from them asking about antivirus software.
>  I was just going to reply saying you dont need to worry about it.
> However there are a few viruses for linux and it would be good to have
> a long term solution so what shall I tell him?  Something that would
> not only stop Linux but also Windows viruses would be ideal - idealy
> free like AGV.
>
> Ben
> --
> Ben Edwards - Poole, UK, England
> WARNING:This email contained partisan views - dont ever accuse me of
> using the veneer of objectivity
> If you have a problem emailing me use
> http://www.gurtlush.org.uk/profiles.php?uid=4
> (email address this email is sent from may be defunct)

Well a quick google reveals that F-Prot, a very well known windows
antivirus suite produce a linux flavour too :D This is aimed at the
desktop / workstation user ratehr than just integrating with the mail
server for use in servers.

http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/linux/

Alternatively there is always ClamAV, a linux dedicated antivirus
system, but i think that this is mainly used for mail server
protedtion (correct me if im wrong)

Hope it helps

Tom