Gnome Search, Gnome 2.9, and GTK+

Matt Philmon mphilmon at elevatorchannel.com
Tue Dec 21 18:14:22 UTC 2004

It's my understand that Hoary is actively using the latest Gnome 2.9
development code. I don't know how in sync they are but this is my
assumption. Is that about right? If so, then I'm a little confused by a
problem I've been having with "Search for files". It's completely broken
on my machine while just about everything else is running fine. After a
crash trying to use it I submitted a bug to Gnome after being presented
with the "Inform the developers" option and was told that the
gnome-search-tool requires GTK+ version 2.5.4 but it appears that the
latest in Hoary is 2.0. Am I missing something? Is anyone else unable to
use search from the menus?

When I first run search the dialog comes up with no way to choose a
starting location. Actually typing something into the search field, in
fact, immediately dims out the "Find" button. If you don't type anything
into the search field, however, and just hit "Find" it crashes. The
Gnome developers acknowledged the crash a bug which they put in a patch
for. However, the missing location appears to be related to having an
old version of GTK+ though I have the latest available.

Of course if I'm simply wrong about Hoary development being somewhat in
sync with Gnome 2.9 (2.10 at release) development then I simply don't
have any idea what's wrong.

Matt