Bugzilla was Re: empty lines in /etc/crypttab

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Tue Dec 21 15:05:14 UTC 2004

Asko Kauppi wrote:

> [ I failed to file a bug on this in bugzilla, "must select component!" -
> what component?!?  If you want people to use bugzilla, please make it
> easy first.. ]

bugzilla is a pain in the arse but at the moment it's the best tool
available and teams like ubuntu use it well, unfortunatly it's more of a
pain towards users attempting to help as it's not entirely obvious what
is required of you.

First you choose the Product (in this case ubuntu) and then you choose
the component of that product (in ubuntu this is normally the package).
  The list is auto populated to help you but as you say sometimes the
component is not obvious to users trying to help developers.

It is possible to file a bug against, I think, UNKNOWN and the dev's
will sort it out at their end but it's probably best if people don't use
this too often.

I also never rate a bug more serious than the default as it's not
normally possible for users to gauge how serious the problem is going to
be in the scale of the whole project ;-)  again I leave this to devs to
sort out.  If it's a show stopper I would drop by in #ubuntu-dev and
point it out anyway.  I quite like the fact someone has listed
bittorrent not working as a serious bug, perhaps someone *really* needs
their pr0n more than the guys reporting bugs against workflow tools ;-)

Some components are missing and this is a probably a Bugzilla bug and
can be filled against the bugzilla product ;-)  I filed one for a
missing component yesterday.  Again I would try to make sure I wasn't
the one making the mistake here as it would be a nightmare to keep
getting bugzilla bugs that are not bugs but user errors keeping the devs
away from real work.

sparkes