Hoary / kernel 2.6.9: Gaim cannot connect to AIM/ICQ?

Klaus Alexander Seistrup kseistrup at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 13:15:37 UTC 2004

Hi,

After installing Warty from the install cd a few weeks ago, I almost
immediately upgraded to Hoary.  And except for a few instabilities
(mainly Python woes), everything was fine until a couple a days ago
when I upped the kernel from 2.6.8 to 2.6.9¹.  Now my gaim can no
longer connect to AIM and ICQ (Jabber, MSN and Yahoo are fine,
though), and FireFox cannot reach www.netscape.net.

First I thought I had made a mistake in my firewall rules, but even
when I clear the iptables, and even when I disable ECN, I still cannot
connect to those sites.  The sites are still pingable, though.

Next I thought about the TCP Window Scaling problem², but I thought
that problem had been corrected in 2.6.9?  Also, the
tcp_default_win_scale pseudo file that the article on LWN is talking
about, doesn't exist in my /proc/sys/net,
so I don't really know how to disable TCP window scaling...

Does anyone else have the same problem?  Or, better yet:  Does anyone
know how to solve my problem?

Cheers,

  // Klaus

¹)
  $ uname -a
  Linux main 2.6.9-1-k7 #1 Mon Dec 20 10:18:58 UTC 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
  $

²)
  See e.g. <http://lwn.net/Articles/92727/>.
--