weird locale problem

thomas tom_hoary at web.de
Tue Dec 21 09:50:04 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am fairly new to this list and Ubuntu in general! A few weeks ago I
downloaded Warty iso image, burned and installed Ubuntu on my box
successfully!
After some real struggle with su/sudo and alike I am quite happy with my
box for now, thanks to Ubuntu developers!
Despite this there seem to be some problems I can't get hold of! One
problem is locale:

For some (still) unknown reason there are some troubles to run the
German Utf-8 locale, so I had to reconsider my installation preferences.
I wanted to switch to latin  15 at euro locale.
Therefore I serveral times tried to "dpkg-reconfigure locales" (a second
time followed by locale-gen).
But no way, whatever I try to do I'll end up in:

thomas> locale

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I've read in Ubuntu archives that there is a problem with locale in
Warty, but still lurking around for some workaround!
Furthermore there also seem to be some locale related problems with
Firefox-0.9.3, despite mozilla-firefox-de locale is installed, though!

Hmm, I am not quite sure if this is due to my poor understanding of how
Warty system works or did I found some bugs?

sincerely

Thomas