kubuntu thanks

Nathan Sprangers wolfe at cwazy.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 23:50:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 06:48 -0800, Liz Young wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> On Fri December 17 2004 01:35 am, Erik Bågfors wrote:
> > Just our of curiousity (and not trying to start a flame-war).  In
> > which way is KDE's window manager more flexible in allowing you to
> > move/resize windows that didn't fit on screen?
>
> The laptop has a 12.1" LCD, and is limited to 800x600 resolution.  Some
> application windows open with the bottom portion of the dialog and the
> buttons out of view.  In KDE I can Alt+click and drag the window up far
> enough to see the bottom of the dialog.  In GNOME, the top of the
> dialog hits the menu bar on top and stops, whether I can see the whole
> thing or not.

Ah, so actually this is no fault of gnome's, but metacity, the window
manager.  If one so chose, they could (theoretically) use kwin as the
window manager in gnome in place of metacity.  I know that many people
use xfwm4, openbox, fluxbox, etc, as their window manager in Gnome, so I
don't see why you couldn't use kwin as well.  The only problem with this
is that the gnome "Theme" control panel will now allow you to apply
themes to any window manager but Metacity.  You can of course use the
configuration tool for the window manager that you choose to use.
~Nathan