No Gaim Sounds with Rhythmbox playing.

Noah Dain noahdain at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 18:21:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:41:18 +0100, Rune Maagensen
<maillist at maagensen.com> wrote:
> adx wrote:
> > Rune Maagensen, I've tried the ALSA dmix stuff with my NForce2, but
> > couldn't get it to work.   If you have some more info about how to get
> > it all working I'd love to hear more about it.
> >
> To be honest I had some problems too, though the main problems was that
> quite a few programs was set up to use different audiodrivers like esd
> and oss.
>
> What was your problem?
>
> I think if you get aplay to work simultaniously I'd guess you can get
> xine, gstreamer and mplayer to work.
>
> I remember this wiki to be the the one that fixed it for me.
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_sound_mixer_aka_dmix
>
> otherwise search "dmix alsa" in google.
>
> /Rune

< engaging ranting and raving mode >

does anyone here actually understand the alsa team's position on
mixing within alsa?

I mean, could the sound-mixer-daemon scene be any more fragmented?
ESD, artsd, jack, polypaudio, xorg's thing, and not to mention all the
other alpha/pre-alpha stuff out there.  This is the typical kind of
stuff that makes a new user go "wtf, over? this is asinine!".  Hell,
it makes me say that, and I've been doing the free *nix thing for more
than four years now.

Call me crazy, but I think I should be able to utilise multiple audio
programs at the same time without any voodoo.  So what am I supposed
to do if I want to run two programs that don't have support for a
common sound-daemon?  Oh yeah, recompile the kernel with some hack
that may or may not be in sync with the latest alsa versions, mknod
this (udev?  oh shi...), change all your apps to use the new "device"
or daemon, blahblahblah.  Yeah, I love having to explain this to
people.

It's basic sound, people.   Nothing advanced going on here.  99% of us
don't need to beam it over the network or do whatever else with the
sound stream.  We just need to let the machine go "bing!" while our
random audio program of choice is playing our latest legally acquired
mp3s.

And it's not as if the sound-daemon situation is anything new.  It was
like this four years ago and then some, and certainly hasn't gotten
any better since.  Probably worse, as back then there was what?  Your
choice of esd or esd (?)

is it really that crazy to want to put a *simple* mixer in alsa by
default and still allow the use of user-mode sound-daemons?  It just
seems like the buck is being passed off to whomever happens to catch
it: the audio app programmers, the distro intigrators, or *shudder*
the end-users.

ok, I feel a little better now, and am backing slowly away from the coffee ...

--
Noah Dain