Ubuntu Mini-RAM HOWTO

Ingo Lantschner (Lists) ingo.lists at vum.at
Thu Dec 16 21:43:52 UTC 2004

Chuck Vose wrote:
> I've always found OOo to be ludicrously memory intense, did you try
> anything other than OOo or is it working quickly enough out of the
> tarball?
Given the hardware I tested it on yet, it is fast enough out of the
tarball: PIII, 128 MB; I have seen it also on PII with 128 MB, still
possible to work with. Anything below forget it.

I did work sometimes with Abiword; it has been improved constantly, but
when I stoped to test it (6 month ago approx.) it was still not as
stable as OOo. It is the lack of stability, which is the problem of
Abiword - not features.

An other approach is miniKDE, see www.rule-project.org.

--
Ingo Lantschner