Ubuntu Mini-RAM HOWTO

poptones ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Dec 17 07:28:06 UTC 2004

-I did work sometimes with Abiword; it has been improved constantly,
but
when I stoped to test it (6 month ago approx.) it was still not as
stable as OOo.-

How odd. Was this on ubuntu? When I tried OOo on mdk10 and 10.1 it was
both slower and less stable than the gnome office programs. They
integrate well with the desktop, it seems odd not to use them.
OpenOffice, on my 500MHz PIII, even with more than 320MB of RAM is
ridiculously slow. I still have them installed on my "main" system just
because I've not taken the time to remove them - I never use Wordalikes
(I prefer HTML in Scite) nor do I have any need for presentation type
stuff (Scite again).

Anyway, don't know if anyone has noticed, but if you go to some of the
desktop sites and browse around the windows/XP desktop section you'll
find a LOT of themes for blackbox. It would appear this minimalist
desktop is becoming more popular with the windows crowd? A minimal
ubuntu system configured for blackbox and running the gnome office
programs might make a good transitional package.

--
poptones