ubuntu broken

Wilhelm du Plessis wilhelm at spheniscus.net
Thu Dec 16 10:25:59 UTC 2004

Hello Thomas,

TB> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:39:52 +0200, Wilhelm du Plessis
TB> <wilhelm at spheniscus.net> wrote:
>> Hello ,
>>
>> i have managed yet again to break my machine. only this time i don't
>> want to just reinstall :) put to much work into it, that i dont want to
>> repeat.
>>
>> this is the error that i get when i try to boot:
>>
>> "Kernel /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-386
>> root = /dev/hda2 ro quiet splash
>>
>> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-386
>>
>> Error 15: File not found"
>>
>> any ideas as to get the box going to try and replace the file ?
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>>  Wilhelm
>>
>> Register Linux user #346596
>>
>> --
>>

TB> I dont know if there is an easier way to do this but one way i would
TB> try is this:

TB> Pleae note that these steps are from the gentoo handbook (the distro i
TB> used before uubuntu) so they may not work the same - but you might as
TB> well try...

TB> Load a linux live CD (the ubuntu live cd will do fine, alternatively
TB> knoppix etc)
TB> from a terminal:

TB> $:   mkdir /mnt/ubuntu
TB> $:   mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/ubuntu

TB> (change /dev/hdb1 above to the location of your ubuntu partition)

TB> $:   chroot /mnt/ubuntu
TB> $:   env-update
TB> $:   source /etc/profile

TB> You will now be inside your ubuntu system so doing  cd / will take you
TB> to the root of your installed filesystem, not the live CD filesystem.
TB> env-update and source /etc/profile loads the environemtn variables

TB> from here you can work on your system as normal so the next step would
TB> be to reinstall the kernel.

TB> dpkg remove linux-image
TB> apt-get linux-image

TB> (the above 2 may not be right as i am at work on a win box so cant
TB> check - off the top of my head i think it is right, but the name of
TB> the kernel package might be wrong - anyone else correct me?)
TB> when the kernel is installed again it should have taken care of
TB> updating grub to load the correct image.

TB> I hope this helps, but im working from memory for soemthing i did once
TB> thatwas above mylevel then ( and probably still is) at least it might
TB> give yousome pointers...

TB> Tom

just an update ;) i got damn small linux, because gnoppix is still not
finished downloading.

i have been able to mount the ubuntu partition. now i must just try to
get that kernal reinstalled right? yet i checked on my home dir is
also gone :( anyidea on where i will be able to find it, coz it is
not in the lost+found dir. there is some files there that i would like
to backup.

is there any manner to uninstall the last installed packes, perhaps a
list/log file, of them somewhere?

--
Best regards,
 Wilhelm