Applications in next Ubuntu

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 15 14:13:00 UTC 2004

> PS will somebody please explain this undying love affair they have with
> K3B? Eroaster does everything I ask it to do.

I so wish I knew the answer to that. So far it only seemed to be the
most used excuse/pretext to start a thread on adding KDE to Ubuntu...

I had a look at 'GnomeBaker' and it looks brilliant. Good and simple
looking Gnome app, easy to use.

http://biddell.co.uk/images/gnomebaker/gb02_02.jpg

The rare times I looked at K3B on a friends computer, who uses
Mandrake/KDE, I always find the interface so overloaded and
un-intuitive, that I really wonder how people can rave about it. Yet
again, each to their own ;o)
I do understand that K3B handles DVD though, which GnomeBaker doesn't ,
but I can't see why adding DVD support to GnomeBaker would make it look
anywhere near as confusing as K3B, though. Plus, how many people burn
DVDs anyway ;-)
I tried Nautilus burner a few times, and that worked perfectly also.
It's hard to beat the simplicity and ease of use of Nautilus for
simple/basic CD burning, which is probably what 90% of people do anyway.
Like burn an ISO image of a distro or Live CD, copy a CD, dump some
file/pics to post it to distant friend, or write on a re-writeable CD as
a bigger replacement for old ZIP drives (mind you, I still have my old
100MB ZIP drive attached... )

Looking at Gnomefiles, GnomeBaker is the only Gnome native CD burning
app. It's only 4 months old so not very mature, but if the Gnome Team
makes it the official CD burning app, which it deserves, and put some
efforts into it, could well be fully sorted and featured for normal CD
burning, in time for Gnome 2.10 hence Hoary. Then they will have another
6 months to add DVD support for the next releaser, and include it in
Gnome 2.12 (don't know the numbering system...)

Vince