Mouse cursor inverted ?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Dec 15 07:51:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 09:17:02PM +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>A little strange thing (to the basic user that I am anyway ;o) is that
>my mouse cursor goes black soon after I log-in. No idea why. Sometimes
>it will turn back to white, then again later become black again.

Interesting.

>Any body experiencing the same ? Any idea what could cause this
>problem? Is the cursor managed by Gnome of by 'X' ?

AFAIK the cursor is managed by X, but may set by GNOME :-)

There is a GConf property that GNOME will look at to tell X what cursor
set to use (/desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse/cursor_theme). GNOME tells
X about this once, soon after you log in (sometime while the GNOME
splash is still showing), after that the cursor should never change!

There is one directory that's used for cursors as well, ~/.icons (very
logically named, I think). If there is a directory (or a link to a
directory) called 'default' that has a subdir called 'cursor' then X
will use it. However, this info is used by X itself, and if GNOME has a
cursor setting then that will be used instead. (The effect of having
both this directory and a GNOME cursor setting is that during startup
your cursor will change twice, first from the one used in GDM to the one
from ~/.icons/default, and then to the one GNOME wants.)

Not really an answer to your question, but hopefully it can help you in
investigating more.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
     -- Douglas Adams