iceWM instead of Gnome

Chuck Vose vosechu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 22:32:13 UTC 2004

> I already found some icewm...deb and installed them with dpkg --install,
> but I have to switch the desktop from Gnome to iceWM now - and I do not
> know how to.

Normally all you have to do is restart the X server if you're already
using GNOME (try ctrl+alt+backspace or just logoff via the computer
menu), or at the GDM screen (the login screen before GNOME) hit
session and choose IceWM then log in as normal.

If that doesn't work hit ctrl+alt+F4 (do ctrl+alt+F7 to get back into
an X window). Log in as yourself and type 'icewm'. This isn't a very
pleasant way though and GDM usually figures everything out.

Let me know how it goes.
-Chuck