ubuntu littered with malicious viruses, some oriented toward Linux

Kent Frazier kentfrazier at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 01:34:32 UTC 2004

> PS Virii = plural of virius (if it existed), also, the Romans managed
> to have exceptions to the rule like nearly any other language. Genus
> <> geni (genera), opus <> opi (opera)... if you really want to muck
> things up, I propose we start using virera.

Not that this should go on any longer, but I just thought you should
know that neither genus nor opus are exceptions to Latin rules.  Most
words in Latin that end in -us are masculine nouns of the second
declension.  These are pretty regular, and the stem of the noun, onto
which the case and plural endings are added, is generally just the
nominative form without the -us ending.  The first and second
declension stems are all pretty easy.  Genus and opus, however, are
neuter nouns of the third declension, which, while pretty regular in
its patterns, has many stems that vary significantly from the
nominative forms of the noun.  The stems of these nouns are gener- and
oper-, respectively.  Being that they are both neuter, they take the
regular neuter plural ending of -a, which is pretty universal
regardless of which declension the noun falls into.

How's that for splitting hairs. :-)

Kent