VNC startup

Albert Solana txena at menta.net
Sun Dec 12 12:07:30 UTC 2004

Hi,

El ds 11 de 12 del 2004 a les 11:35 -0800, en/na Mark Yarbrough va
escriure:
[...]
>   The Remote Desktop feature in Ubuntu requires that a user is already
> logged in.  If no one is logged in then there is no desktop to
> control.  Help?

Try to install vino package:

$ sudo apt-get install vino

I think there's an option which lets you log in a machine remotely using
VNC.

You could also try another option:

- Install a X server in your M$ machine (try Cygwin) and ssh client (it
comes with Cygwin utilities)
- I suppose you've already installed a ssh server in your ubuntu home
machine
- Start a ssh session to you ubuntu machine and execute any X
application you want.

Oops! Using this second option you could not view your desktop that I
suppose you would show to office's people. However, they will realize
the amount of application available in any Linux.

Hope this helps,
--
** Albert Solana - aka - Txena **