Ubuntu AMD64 and VESA

Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski kewlopi at wp.pl
Sun Dec 12 04:45:58 UTC 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:30:18 +1100
Thomas Sullivan <metafunk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just recently installed Ubuntu for AMD64 using the
> 2.6.8.1-3-amd64-generic kernel. Using the VESA XFree86 device doesn't
> bring the X system up, and also corrupts the graphics when in ttys1-6
> console mode.

 Is your console in framebuffer mode? See dmsg (pipe it with |less) for it.
Then, just grab fbset and try to set something bigger than 640x480, if it
will work, try to use framebuffer driver for X.

> I'm getting a little sick of 640x480x4 :)

 You'll be more happy when you get normal resolutions back. :)

--
,'''.  | Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski, TPnets.com departament of software
: :' : | http://opi.pegasos.pl