steghide binary without jpeg support by default?

Tony tony.kruse at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 18:00:59 UTC 2004

After reading the current Linux Journal article "Cooking with Linux"
titled "Forgotten Security" I felt inspired to experiment with
"steghide".  I installed it with apt without problems.  However when I
attempted to try my first example, I got the following error message:

"steghide: can not read input file. steghide has been compiled without
support for jpeg files."

Questions:

1. Shouldn't this program include jpeg support by default?  After all,
the very first example on the steghide manpage is with... jpegs.

2. How should I compile this will jpeg support using apt?

3. If I downloaded and compiled a package manually, (without apt)
would the package still be maintained by apt for upgrades?

Tony