Problems with Intel 536EP modem

Daniel B ubuntu at plumcreek.us
Fri Dec 10 16:38:33 UTC 2004

I have this modem and I've compiled the driver for it and if I

% sudo modprobe Intel536

then I get an entry for the modem at /dev/536ep0

I can then use the network settings panel to get online (by clicking
the activate and deactivate buttons).

What I would like to do is have the driver load automatically when the
computer boots and be able to use the modem lights panel to go online
and offline.

As far as I know I've got things setup the same in pppconfig and the
network settings control panel, but when I execute the pon command
(using modem lights or at the terminal) the modem will pickup, dial,
start to connect and then either hang (the yellow light in modem lights
keeps flashing), or disconnect.

some questions:
Is there a log file somewhere that I will show what is happening and
why pon isn't working?

Why would the Network Settings control panel work and not pon?

How do I get the driver to load on system startup without me having to
manually modprobe it in?

Thanks a bunch!

-- Daniel