UBuntu on older machines ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Fri Dec 10 11:16:50 UTC 2004

> why not try xfce instead of a fully blown gnome. Its much faster on
> older hardware and still uses gtk. should dowonders for speeding it
> up!
>
> Tom

Well Ubuntu without gnome is not Ubuntu anymore ! ;o)
And I love Gnome (but not it's sluggishness... :-/ )
That said since it's for a file server or such, I don't mind trying
lighter Desktop. What does xfce look like ? any Screen shot ?
How do I install it ? Is it just a matter of downloading some packages
from Synaptic ?  How many MB do I need to download (I have only a 64K
internet access, so only marginally faster than dial-up ! :-/ )

Regards,

Vince