http://ubuntuguide.org has launched!

zenwhen ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Dec 10 02:14:26 UTC 2004

sparkes Wrote:

> with the greatest of respect that's bollocks.
>
> Why unoffical?  why not work with the doc team to create something
> together. it looks to me like large portions are uncredited from their
>
> orginal source in the wiki, offical docs, and debian guides.
>
> It looks like another attempt by people advance their own CV's by using
>
> the work of free software developers and documentors.
>
> It's not even released under a proper licence so probably can't be
> reused upstream.
>
> These might be problems that you are unware of and will change in
> future
> releases but at the moment it looks like it takes more away from the
> community than it offers.

Takes more away than it offers? It offers new users an easy way to jump
in, get set up, and do what they need to do.

I honestly don't think new users are thinking "Oh geeze I hope this
guide is properly credited!".

They want something that gives answers. Can you point out a better
guide? If you don't need it, that is fine. Many people want a one stop
shop for setup info, and here it is.

He provided a source of information on a website that can be easy used
and understood by new users. True, he could credit his sources better,
but I think you are being quite uptight, and are also being rather
greedy. Why not let people have the information in another form?

Why does this bother YOU? How is it, in its current state, anothing
less than a very useful source of information?

--
zenwhen