UBuntu on older machines ?

Harry Wright ubuntu at avernus.org.uk
Thu Dec 9 17:51:29 UTC 2004

* Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr> [2004-12-09 16:31]:
> Ubuntu on a Pentium 200MMX ? Is that true ? Really really true ?!!
>
> Does Gnome work ? Is it useable for basic things like e-mail and
> Epiphany ?

I'm currently running Ubuntu on a laptop with a 233MHz Pentium MMX and
only 96Mb RAM. It's perfectly usable to me -- in fact I use it as my
main work machine, despite being surrounded by much more modern
computers.

Some programs are slow to start up, but everything seems to work OK. At
the moment I have several Firefox windows open, with a total of 15 tabs,
beep-media-player playing a streamed MP3, 7 gnome-terminals and 4 gvims,
each with 4 buffers. I know that wouldn't be considered much by some
people, but it's enough for me to do my job. It's still sufficiently
responsive for me to use it without complaining.

OpenOffice would probably be pushing it a bit, but I don't need it.
Evolution seems to work, but it doesn't really fit on a 800x600
screen. Mutt's a much better e-mail client anyway.

Harry.

[NB - you may have a different definition of 'sufficiently responsive'
to me! And if I could put more RAM in this, I would, but no more will
fit.]