Dual Boot - Jittery

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Thu Dec 9 13:05:17 UTC 2004

Sean Miller wrote:

> Art Alexion wrote:
>
>> I, myself, installed Ubuntu "over" Mandrake (9.2).  Ubuntu will not
>> install over a Linux distribution that it recognizes as such, so you
>> have to delete the Mandrake partitions, and then allow Ubuntu's
>> installer to create its partitions in the resulting unused space.
>

> That's interesting... I had no such problems... my machine had RedHat9
> and XP co-existing,

> I just told it to leave the windows one "as is" (/dev/hda1) and
> format/mount the other three... which it did...
>

> maybe it's only *some* Linux distros that Ubuntu won't overwrite?
>
> Only issue I did have was that it didn't put a link to Windows in
> grub, but that was easy enough to resolve once the installation was
> complete...

That's really curious as I had the *opposite* experience.  In fact the
installer told me that it wouldn't overwrite other Linux "system"
partitions (presumably everything but /usr, /opt and /home).  Perhaps
that is the answer as my Mandrake installation had only 3 partitions
/swap, /boot and /.  As /usr, /opt and /home were part of the /
partition, it wouldn't overwrite anything.

And windows was the *only* boot that grub set up -- besides the distro
being installed -- with Ubuntu and Mandrake.

Strange.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need
for alarm.
Info @

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c