partially broke gnome menu bar

Mike Bate mikebate_tl at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 8 23:00:01 UTC 2004

While searching for a wifi connection manager, I installed
KWifiManager with Synaptic - this also installed various other KDE
components - kdelibs*. (time passes) After later istalling and liking
Wifi-radar, I removed kwifimanager, but apparently this also removed
something else, probably part of gnome-panel (? sorry, my notes on
this are quite cryptic, had expected this to be a no-brainer). I
reinstalled gnome-applets, gnome-applets-data, gnome-panel,
gnome-panel-data and libgnome-menu0 - which were included in my notes
as being removed.

Now the top panel has "Applications" and "Actions", instead of the
previous "Applications" and "Computer". The few items I'd added to
Applications, Accessories (Wifi-radar, kismet) are not in the
Accessories menu (although the wifi-radar launcher added to the top
panel is still present, and still works. Additionally, when
right-clicking in the Accessories menu, the "Entire Menu" submenu only
has options to "Add this as drawer to panel" and "add this as menu to
panel", but no longer an option to add a new application to the
Accessories menu.

This is my Hoary install, basically for experimenting, Warty is in its
own partition and unaffected. I'd been thinking of a fresh Hoary
install from the array1 cd, but this sounds like a good learning
experience fixing it first... Also wondering when array2 will be
available.

Ideas for a fix/repair??

--
Mike