Continuing installation failure on Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop.

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 22:50:23 UTC 2004

I'm still no further forward with this.

Whether I work from the 'official' Ubuntu pressed CDs or my early copy of
Sounder 9, I get exactly the same problem,
as also experienced earlier by another prospective Ubuntu user with a Dell
7500.  (Note, there are variants between early
and later models under this number.)  The live CD also fails to boot.

 >On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 02:31:54PM -0400, David McGaffin wrote:
 >> I am trying to install Warty.  The install repeatedly hangs at the "Load
 >> installer components from CD" step with the console message:
 >>
 >> user.info.anna[42767]: Not a directory
 >> user.info.anna[42767]: WARNING **: bad d-i Packages file
 >> user.info.anna[42767]: grep: /cdrom/dists/stable/Release: Not a
 >> directory
 >
 >This usually indicates DMA problems, which I believe are fixed in our
 >most recent kernel images. I'll see about updating the kernels used in
 >the installer.
 >
 >Cheers,
 >
 >--
 >Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]

Taking the hint about DMA problems, I have tried using 'ide=nodma' and just
plain 'nodma' as well as 'nolapic noapic' as
commands at boot.

Still no joy.

The only chink of light is that the 'nodma' option does work when applied
to the live cd, which also fails to boot
if it is not given the option.

I have now been able to see Ubunutu on the laptop, but I do *really* want
to install it and start using it for real.

Is there a fix, or should I be looking into alternative installation
methods that avoid booting from the CD?

Neil