official pdf reader

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Wed Dec 8 18:55:50 UTC 2004

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> The default pdf reader is xpdf. ggv is a postscript viewer. In future, we
> hope to use gpdf (the official GNOME pdf reader), which is based on xpdf.
> That said, upstream is working to integrate ggv, gpdf, eog and other view
> oriented apps into a single interface (like Preview on Mac OS X).

So gpdf is the future (or maybe the all-in-one app is - it sounds nice).
But I very often can't open a pdf file with gpdf, while xpdf perfectly
works. Try
http://www.pds.twi.tudelft.nl/~tonino/IN2013/exams/20031030.pdf for
example - It has some weird logic symbols, granted, but gpdf only shows
two horizontal lines on the whole page. I see this happen often with gpdf.
Is there being worked on this, or am I the only one having these
problems? As I said, I just tried ggv (yes, it's for ghostscript, but
apparently it works with this pdf), and I have no clue what gpdf has
that ggv has not.
It appears to be faster in some areas than gpdf as well. At least, when
I have a big pdf file open, and choose the "last" button (go to last
page) for gpdf it takes a while, and ggv is there immediately.

I'm not saying gpdf is a piece of crap (although I almost start thinking
it). I'm not trying to promote certain pieces of software, but I'd like
to point out I experience problems with gpdf.

Thanks,

Eric

P.S.: I often CC to the one replying to, while i send the mail
To:ubuntu-users. I see other people doing it as well... How do the
ubuntu-developers like this? Is it appreciated, or considered a burden
because they won't miss the reply in the thread anyway?