official pdf reader

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Wed Dec 8 17:23:10 UTC 2004

What is the default pdf reader? I'm running hoary and I see
ubuntu-desktop depends on both xpdf and gnome-gv, and gnome-gv does not
depend on xpdf.

I assume gnome-gv is the official one, for now... I understand gnome-gv
(gnome-ghostview) is frontend to ghostscript, which is for reading
postscript, but I saw it can read pdf-documents as well.

It can't read
http://www.pds.ewi.tudelft.nl/~tonino/IN2013/exams/20040622.pdf,
however: ggv says it's an incorrect format. Well, of course that's
possible, but xpdf can read it.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Is it correct that gnome-ghostview is the official pdf reader for
Ubuntu, and that this is the application of the future?

2) Although it can be just said that a malformed pdf is a malformed pdf,
would anyone (maybe ggv developers) be interested in a pdf (like the on
of the url) that could be handled in a better way?

Thanks,

Eric