Nautilus ate my customer's website

Matthew Davidson mjd at almatech.net.au
Wed Dec 8 02:30:23 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 11:11 +0100, Petri Pennanen wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 14:31 +1100, Matthew Davidson wrote:
> > Anyway, I can't get a detailed idea of what's going on, since this
> > website is hosted with someone who doesn't allow shell access.  I've
> > patched up the site using another FTP client, and hopefully no permanent
> > damage has been done.  The file truncation problem I mentioned in my
> > original post seems to be an unrelated issue.  I'll try to duplicate the
> > rest of the behaviour on a machine where I can actually see what's going
> > on, and I'll file a bug report if successful.
>
> Good! If possible ask your ftp-admin about the server configuration, the
> logs for account or invite him/her to help writing the bugreport.
> Anything that narrows this problem down is bound to help.

Okay, I've got to the bottom of it, and it the major problem was in fact
just a combination of the way the server is configured, idiocy on my
part, and accepting a rush job on a web host I've never used before.  I
still haven't resolved the file truncation problem, but as somebody
noted earlier it may be something that's already a known bug.

I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions about Nautilus being the cause of
the problem, but I've been hurt before, you see.  I keep coming back,
though.  In fact I've sent an imaginary bunch of flowers and box of
chocolates to every GNOME developer on Earth, because I believe we can
still make this relationship work.

Still stand by my point on unhelpful comments on mailing lists like
this, but I'm not inclined to argue it further.  The relief of knowing
what seemed to be a nasty bug in a product I've bet a fair bit of my
business on isn't a bug after all has suffused me in a warm glow of
universal benevolence.  Or maybe it's the beer.

Matthew.

--
Alma Technology
http://www.almatech.net.au