FAO Ubuntu team : feature request : CPU frequency control ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Tue Dec 7 14:32:35 UTC 2004

Le mardi 07 décembre 2004 à 22:16 +1100, David Collett a écrit :
> Not necessarily...
> Someone has produced a cpufreq kernel driver for the nforce2
> motherboard chipset. It allows frequency scaling my modifying the FSB
> rather than the CPU multiplier, so it works with regular desktop
> CPU's.

Too bad, my motherboard has the nforce chipset not nforce2... :o(

Anyway, I have decided on getting a bi-cpu motherboard in a few months.
What I need to know, as I said, is what model of DESKTOP CPUs feature
frequency/throttling management. Even used, motherboard and CPUs still
cost money, so I would rather not spend money on CPU's, only to find out
that they are not suitable ! :-/

And now that I have brought the subject, maybe someone at Ubuntu can
tell me, does Ubuntu work on bi-cpu motherboards ? Is it just a matter
of getting a kernel that handles it ? Or does any Linux Kernel manage
multiple CPUs ? Are there any problems that may be specific to this set
up, as far as installing and running Ubuntu is concerned ?

Is there any particular brand/manufaturer that are recommended, or best
avoided ? What boards enjoy the best hardware/driver support with
Ubuntu/Linux ? Intel ? MSI ? Gigabyte ? Asus ??

Thanks for any help/info.

Regards,

Vince