FAO Ubuntu team : feature request : CPU frequency control ?

David Collett david.collett at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 11:16:07 UTC 2004

Not necessarily...
Someone has produced a cpufreq kernel driver for the nforce2
motherboard chipset. It allows frequency scaling my modifying the FSB
rather than the CPU multiplier, so it works with regular desktop
CPU's. (the nforce2 FSB is aparently asyncronous to the PCI/AGP/RAM
clocks so this can be done on the fly quite safely) Not sure if/when
this will make it into the stock kernel but it is a patch thats
floating around (google cpufreq-nforce2). Also, I'm not sure if it
changes core voltage (i suspect not) so perhaps the cooling benefit is
not as great as the cpufreq drivers for mobile CPU's???

Dave