Ubuntu is not a good distribution for Multimedia

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 13:23:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:56:46 +0100, Le grand pinguin <rm at mh-freiburg.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 12:25:47PM +0000, Ben Edwards wrote:
> > Have been investigating what distribution we should use for our
> > multimedia PCs and I am afraid that Ubuntu fairs fairly badly.  most
> > of the serious audio/video production software is either nowhare to be
> > found or in universe as VERY old versions.
> >
> > The software I am refuring to is stuff like ardour, audacity, jack,
> > jamin, hydroigen, Cinelerra.
>
> How serious are you about that? (What's your target audience?)

This is to give people at a community center an alternative to pro
Tools / Qbase / avid etc. - i.e. provide a Didgital Audio Workstation
for musicians.  Sa fairly serious ;)

> > I understand that Warty is the first release but would like to get a
> > feel for how seriously Ubuntu is going to be supporting this type of
> > hight end Desktop use in the future.
>
> The software you mention isn't really desktop software at all - it's software
> meant to be used in a "pro-environment" (which probably translates to:
> dedicated boxes only doing MM work, _not_ desktop systems).

Verry true - I guess I should of said 'Ubuntu is not a good distro for
profesional Multimedia Production'

> > Also has anyone built or got a howto for building a low latency kernel
> > for Ubuntu.
>
> Hmm, current oppinion is that for such applications the 2.6 branch of
> the kernel isn't really a good choice (personal rant: low latency isn't
> really a field where linux excels. It's gotten much better but still
> leaves one wanting :-/
>
> To transmogrify an Ubuntu box into a multimedia workstation one would
> need to remove a lot of the stuff that makes life for the average user
> more convenient ....
> If you really need a dedicated MM box (esp. for educational use) you
> might be better of using one of the MM distros (Agnula for the Debian
> lovers or the rather excellent PlanetCCRMA distro from Fernando at
> Stanford - try it, you'll love it ;-)

Yes - I think Angola is the way to go.  Pitty cos we wanted to be able
to share /home dirs but I think Angola used 2.4 so I gess the dot
files would gett in a mess ;(

Ben