Ubuntu KDE

Viro ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Dec 5 20:06:05 UTC 2004

Henry Keultjes Wrote:
> Vincent:
>
> I have no problem with what you are saying nor with your lack of
> understanding why I want KDE with Ubuntu because there is no need to
> convince you to become a Linux user.  You already are.
>
> I only have a problem convincing ordinary users to use Linux and,
> having
> been rather successful in sales for many a decade and also having been
> systems architect and interface designer for the software that ran my
> direct sales ergonomic chair manufacturing operations, I believe that I
>
> have a certain understanding of what is required to change peoples
> attitude toward Linux.  I have not seen anything that compares to KDE
> in
> that regard.
>
> To be commercially successful on the desktop, Linux will need at least
> 25% market share and that's what my ideas are focused on and that's why
>
> I have focused on KDE and Debian which I have run in my office without
> the slightest problem for nearly three years..  Debian is wonderful
> but,
> like with most of the Open Source software, the last step, making the
> product commercially viable will never happen and consequently Xandros
> and Linspirre, a Xandros licensee, are making much more headway on the
> desktop than Debian itself.  Mark Shuttleworth had the concept and the
> means to put the Ubuntu team together and I would like to see him
> succeed wildly with his ideas.  However, success will only  be measured
>
> in millions at the enduser level and that level of success requires the
>
> total integration of all applications, something that only KDE has
> accomplished thus far but also something that KDE is only perhaps 5% on
>
> the way to accomplishing.  Why this contradiction?  WinTel is a moving
> target and catching up with that moving target requires a vision of
> where the future is heading.
>
> Again, what do you want Vincent, more missionaries to preach to the
> same
> choir (an Americanism meaning that preaching to those who are already
> of
> like mind is more or less useless) or do we need more missionaries in
> the field who preach to the WinTel heathens?
>
> Henry Keultjes
>
> Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>
> >I don't understand people who want KDE in Ubuntu.
> >The only, huge big reason why I left Mandrake for Ubuntu, is because I
> >saw Ubuntu as a Heaven for me, Gnome lover. Ubuntu provides:
> >
> >1) an UNTOUCHED Gnome, in 10 seconds you can get it to look exactly
> like
> >what you see on Gnome.org screenshots
> >
> >2) you get the latest version of Gnome
> >
> >3) you get lightweigth, neat, Gnome ONLY distro with not a bit of KDE
> >'cr*p' that you don't want. It's Gnome and only Gnome, it's CLEAN,
> >inside out.
> >
> >4) Since you only have Gnome, people at Ubuntu can concentrate on it
> [...]
That's all very nice, but you haven't given a reason why KDE is
necessary. GNOME has everything   it needs to be a commercial success.
There is a tight integration between the applications, the interface is
a lot cleaner than KDE, there is less clutter in the menus, and Ubuntu
does a very good job of making everything work together.

IMHO, it would be more beneficial if Ubuntu just focused on one DE.
That way, they can polish up this distro even further and make it even
more viable for newbies. I used to be a KDE person (since 2.0), but
after using GNOME 2.8 and Ubuntu, I'm sold.

--
Viro