Ubuntu KDE

Romeyn Prescott prescor at digirom.potsdam.edu
Sun Dec 5 14:33:16 UTC 2004

At 8:11 AM -0500 12/5/04, Henry Keultjes scribbled:
>Anyone interested in putting an UbuntuPPC version *without* Gnome
>and *with* KDE together for use here in the USA?

<snip>

>And . . . just in case, the reason for starting Gnome, the Qt
>license, has long been resolved.  The total integration of KDE and
>Qt has some inherent strengths for simplifying the end user
>experience and that's were I believe we need to go.

I'm not sure who "we" is in the above statement.  I preface my
thoughts with the declaration that I am NOT a developer in any sense
of the word...I'm "just a user."

But it seems to me that an endeavor the likes of which you describe
would no longer be "Ubuntu Linux."  Someone had a vision and the
resources to bring it about and thanks to that we now have Ubuntu.
As has already been mentioned in threads in which people (including
myself) have asked about "more timely" updates to supported
applications, the Ubuntu team is a finite staff of developers.  If
they have to branch off and start maintaining several variants of the
distribution, I would have to guess that the project as a whole would
suffer greatly.

$0.02,
...ROMeyn
--