4dwm

Hyrcan hyrcan at hyrcan.com
Fri Dec 3 17:37:39 UTC 2004

I believe Simon was looking for something more like SGI Irix (3dwm) than
a 3d Gui like 3dwm.org and Sun's Looking Glass...

3DWM is a very minimalistic looking Gui, and thus doesn't need much in
the way of system resources. Handy for those who don't want to or can't
waist the horsepower... Which is why, although I love how Ubuntu has
gnome setup, I don't run it on my p3 933mhz/256MB box...and I especially
avoid Evolution. (and I though Nautilus was a memory hog)

Found this screen shot of SGI's 3DWM:
http://people.cc.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/screenshot/linux/3dwm/3dwmnew.jpg

If this is the case then I would recommend checking out the following:

First is FLWM (Fast Light Window Manager)
It'd developed with 3dwm/4dwm compatibility in mind.

Screenshot: http://flwm.sourceforge.net/screenshot.jpg
HomePage: http://flwm.sourceforge.net/

Second is of course FVWM (ver. 2.4 or higher)
This can become anything you want...and is unthinkable customizable.
But you do loose some of the automation found in gnome & kde ...such as
nice configuration utilities and tool bars you can drag and arrange
icons on... unless of course you write your own into the FVWM scripts ;)

This of course means it can be a challenge for some to setup...needing
to edit text config files to make changes, then restarting the session
(just the WM) to see the change...but one you get it set like you like
then you won't need to mess about.

Screenshot: err...it can look like anything so here's a bunch to look
at: http://fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/
Homepage: http://fvwm.org

I personally have returned to FVWM after wondering the GUI landscape...
my desktop is running the Crystal scripts found here:
http://fvwm-crystal.berlios.de/
and looks a lot like this
screenshot: http://fvwm-crystal.berlios.de/img/desktop-layout-1.0.jpg

Third would be either the OroboROX or GNUstep
OroboROX: http://rox.sf.net
GNUstep: http://www.gnustep.org

peace
hyrcan