Floppies

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Fri Dec 3 16:28:13 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 03:59:45PM +0000, Richard Brown wrote:
> Just signed up and all set to download and run Ubuntu. But (there is
> always a but), slight problem. I own a G4 Powerbook with no floppy
> drive and the PC box I've just been given has no operating system on
> and only boots to HD or Floppy. So does anybody own a floppy boot disk
> that will enable Ubuntu to install? I am happy to pay postage, cost of
> disk etc... I live in Cornwall, England.

(This is better on our ubuntu-users@ list, so moving it there.)

Unfortunately we don't support floppy installs at the moment. It's a
goal for Hoary, but I've been having trouble fitting the necessary bits
onto floppies, so I have nothing to offer you just yet.

Is it possible to take the PC's hard disk out, put it temporarily into
another computer, and install it there?

Otherwise, I'd suggest installing Debian 3.0 (booting from floppies and
getting the base system from the network, if you can) and upgrading from
there.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]