Synaptic = HELP !

Michel De Gouveia afmdg at yahoo.fr
Fri Dec 3 11:54:26 UTC 2004

Trouilliez Vincent wrote:

>>Are you running Warty or Hoary? If you are running Warty: this update
>>will not be available for Warty, mixing Warty and Hoary packages can
>>lead to instability.
>>
>>If you are running hoary: use the regular hoary repositories.
>>--
>>Dennis K.
>>

> Hi Dennis,
>
> I use Warty.  I have always been afraid of Hoary as I thought that
> being in heavy development, it would crash all the time and generally
> be unusable for people who need to rely on their computer for every
> day work. But I have jut been told off-list, that Hoary is perfectly
> useable.
> So, if it gives me access to up to date packages, I will try and
> install it. Need to download the ISO I guess, which will take about 24
> hours as I am on dial-up..... oops... :-/
>
> Regards,
>
> Vince

I have also warty. But sometimes, I get some package from hoary like
Firefox 1.0 or package need by others applications.
With synaptic, you can check or not easily hoary repository. If I need a
package who it isn't in warty, I check hoary just to add the package.
For dial-up for example, I use gnome-ppp who are only in hoary.

Michel