X server bombs on ASUS A7N266-VM

Bob Barry bobb at absamail.co.za
Fri Dec 3 06:48:41 UTC 2004

I just got my ubuntu-4.1 CDs.

For starters, I tried the LiveCD in the qemu PC emulator, and it worked
fine though it was very ATM1L1slow because of the emulator.

Then I restarted the machine with the LiveCD in the CD drive.  All went
normally until the X server was started, then the machine restarted.

I rebooted the LiveCD in "failsafe" mode and added "single" to the boot
parameter line, and ubuntu booted into single-user mode.  I wanted to
run "startx" and look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log, but there seems to be no
startx.  How does one start the X server on ubuntu?

My motherboard is Asus A7N266-VM, using Athlon XP and nVidia
chipset.  Knoppix 3.4 runs properly on this machine, with both kernel 2.4
and 2.6.

Have any problems been reported with this motherboard or chipset?

Thanks,

Bob Barry