Linux on netbooks

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Mon Jul 13 11:10:22 BST 2009

Facebook  to me

show details Jul 2 (10 days ago)

Robert posted something on your Wall and wrote:

"The Ubuntu mix for the Asus is absolutely perfect. I've used it now
for over a month. What I can't figure out is what Asus was thinking
when they put that sorry operating system on their little netbook.
Anyhow, thanks for helping me get it on the computer."

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Travis Newman<panickedthumb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll have to give eeeBuntu a shot, I honestly didn't know there was such a
> thing.
>
> Mint is pretty sweet, it's basically Ubuntu but a little more bleeding edge
> and less hassle to get things set up. A bit snappier on the netbook as well.
>
> Jim, when we were doing that eee install at the installfest in Galax, was
> there any lag on the Ubuntu NR we installed? I'm wondering if there might be
> something wrong with the netbook itself. It seems to work better in a live
> session over USB than it does after installed.
>
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 11:07 PM, Kevin McKinley <kevin at siriusmaritime.us>
> wrote:
>>
>> Welcome, Travis.
>>
>> I use eeeBuntu Standard and it works well. It's based on 8.10.
>>
>> http://eeebuntu.org
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 16:28:57 -0400
>> Travis Newman <panickedthumb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Anyone have any experience with Netbooks? I have an Asus eeePC 900,
>> > and Ubuntu NR drags on it a bit. The default Asus modified Xandros
>> > was terrible though. Any better, more lightweight distros for
>> > netbooks out there? I'd prefer something Ubuntu based (thinking of
>> > trying Mint, especially since you can get the Ubuntu NR launcher on
>> > it).
>>
>> --

http://ls.net
http://drupal.ls.net

The path to God starts with a simple act of kindness.