[ubuntu-us-ut] Meeting Saturday - Partitions, Filesystems, RAID and LVM

Aaron Toponce atoponce at ubuntu.com
Mon May 11 23:48:09 BST 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 04:25:41PM -0600, Trevor Sharpe wrote:
> About Saturday's presentation; why is 8 drives the sweet spot for RAID
> 5? I would assume that the size of drives would play into the calculation?

With hardware RAID, the chunk size is calculated by the nmuber of disks
in the array. If you have less than 8 disks in a RAID 5 array, then the
chunk size is larger than the parity. If you have more than 8 disks,
then the chunk size is smaller than the parity.

--
 ,-O  Aaron Toponce
O   } Ubuntu Member