Perl 5.8.8 in Ubuntu 6.06

Michael Moore stuporglue at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 19:00:25 GMT 2007

> I'm willing to bet that just installing 5.8.8 from aptitude would fix
> things, but it doesn't seem to be available for Ubuntu 6.06. Can
> somebody point me in a good direction to get my Perl install fixed,
> without having to apply major changes to my system?

By 'major changes', do you mean you doing major work, or do you mean
lots of changes on your system?

-- Lots of changes, little work --
Feisty has 5.8.8, and requires little work on your part (change
/etc/apt/sources.list), but would upgrade tons on your machine.

-- Lots of work, few changes --
Installing perl 5.8.8 from source, but creating a .deb file instead of
running make-install would be an option, but would require a good bit
of work on your part.

-- Middle ground --
An easy compromise might be to temporarily change your sources.list to
feisty, do an apt-get update, apt-get install perl, then change your
sources back and do another apt-get update. That would install perl
5.8.8 and its dependencies (according to what the feisty packages
say), and leave the rest of your stuff alone.

-- fyi --

The Feisty perl package says it depends on perl-base, perl-modules,
libc6, libdb4.4 and libgdm3. If edgy doesn't have libc6, a ton of
stuff is going to need to be upgraded.

--
Michael Moore