Perl 5.8.8 in Ubuntu 6.06

Joseph Hall joseph at thatworks.com
Mon Mar 19 18:38:28 GMT 2007

I have a problem. While installing a Perl package via CPAN, and in a
case of not really paying attention to the on-screen prompts, I
accidentally upgraded from Perl 5.8.7 to 5.8.8. This would not
normally be a problem, except that aptitude seems to think that I'm
still running 5.8.7, and installs all of its packages to the old
location. When Perl upgraded itself, it changed the global @INC from
5.8.7 to 5.8.8, so any packages I install from aptitude are
essentially useless to me.

In an attempt to fix things, I uninstalled 5.8.8, which completely
hosed Perl on my system. I have since reinstalled 5.8.8, so at least I
have Perl working again, but I much prefer to use aptitude to install
my packages.

When it comes down to it, I really don't care which version I'm
running. If I could get aptitude to install to 5.8.8 instead, that
would be dandy. If I knew where to change the @INC (without having to
do it manually in every single Perl script) to use the old version, or
even both versions, that would also be grand.

I'm willing to bet that just installing 5.8.8 from aptitude would fix
things, but it doesn't seem to be available for Ubuntu 6.06. Can
somebody point me in a good direction to get my Perl install fixed,
without having to apply major changes to my system?

--
Joseph
http://blog.josephhall.com/