Texas Linux Fest April 10, 2010

Daniel Roesler diafygi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 16:36:56 GMT 2010

What Ubuntu LoCo's are for me:
I'm not in the computer industry, and I rarely interact with any IT
professionals. Most of my friends have no idea what ubuntu even is.
But here I am, using ubuntu 100% of the time, and I love it. The
freedom is empowering, even though I rarely take advantage of it. The
transparency is calming, since I know there is nothing hiding behind
the curtain. The cost is easy, free with no strings attached. But the
community is the most important thing, because it tells me I'm not
crazy. The community assures me I'm not the only person in the
city/state/world that also loves using ubuntu. It's like they are
carrying a big sign that says, "You're not alone! You made a good
choice, and we are with you." It's very relaxing to know that you're
not exposed like you thought you were.

For me, it's not the advocacy or the tech support, though those are
important. It's mainly the comfort that enough people in my area use
Ubuntu and are proud to talk about it. We don't _have_ to get anything
done or accomplish any goals. For me, we just have to exist. The
progress and contributions are nice and good, but 90% of an Ubuntu
LoCo is showing up :)

So do I think that we should have a booth? Yes, if for no other reason
than to show out-of-state visitors that Ubuntu is not also a
foreigner. Ubuntu _is_ Texan *tips hat*.

See you Houstonians on Wednesday!

Avast!
Daniel Roesler
diafygi at gmail.com