Dallas ISD IT Coordinator

Carlton Hobbs carlton.hobbs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 14:58:00 GMT 2009

I'm not sure if y'all heard this on the news, but maybe if we get the
news around the local open source community, maybe we can get a good
candidate to apply assuming they post the position to the public.

Dallas ISD's head IT Coordinator was just terminated.  The news media
focused on the fact that her husband was also chief of staff.  While
not unimportant, the primary reason for her termination was that our
annual financial audit which just completed had too many "material
weaknesses" in the IT department, many that were unresolved from the
previous year.

If they actually post the position to the public, it will be available
on the PDF found on this web page:
http://www.dallasisd.org/employment/

Several notes:

1.  The previous IT Coordinator had a salary of $126K.  I'm told that
such would be below market salary for what the position entails, and I
have no idea what range they may offer a new hire.
2. DISD gets grant money from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.  I
don't know the details of how it is tied to technology purchases, but
it is.
3. I know that DISD does use Linux on the server side, Windows XP for
desktops, Oracle database, Novell Groupware, Novell Netware login
system, but have planned to switch to Microsoft Exchange, a program
for teachers called something like Chancery.  The only attempt of open
source on the desktop that I know they tried was Open Office about 5
or so years ago and (they tell me) it did not work out well at all.
So this would not be a job interview to argue the virtues of open
source, instead, to argue personal mastery and examples of success
with cost effective software solutions.

Anyway, I'm hoping that this posting maybe useful to someone here, and
hopefully a good use of an Ubuntu LoCo.

Regards,
Carlton