[Ubuntu PA] NTR Laptop Project: meet at laptop room on Mar 29th, noon

Kevin Valentine kevin.valentine at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 04:11:23 BST 2008

Yes, I had the wrong date in the subject line earlier.  Even though
there were only 3 of us (me, Randy, Norman) today, we got a lot done.
Here's my short status report:
  * there are now 18 laptop completed and ready for testing
  * 18 laptops set aside to receive imaged drives
  * 15 hard drives have DSL images now
  * 16 Dells of the same model need to be repaired to make 8 good ones
  * all laptop power supplies sorted and placed in labeled crates
  * laptops that don't have USB port(s) have been removed from our
refurb queue

At this point I believe we've found all the laptops that are worth
salvaging.  In the end we may have 35-40 laptops for the NTR thrift
store.  I read something recently that said a reused PC uses 20 times
less fossil fuels than a recycled PC.  I need to dig that reference up
again...  I'd also like to get some more hard numbers about reusing vs.
recycling.  Any of you ever see anything like that?

-kevin