[Ubuntu PA] Event: Girls Inc

Alex Launi socialrevolutionary at comcast.net
Mon Jun 4 01:12:18 BST 2007

> When I got home I noticed that the one I was using a nice
> scratch on it and it failed the CD verification (from the boot prompt).
Well that explains a lot. Did you use the same cd for the kid's install?
> comments:
>   * suspend to ram works fine
does suspend to disk?
>   * 45 sec to boot
>   * 15 sec to shutdown
>   * 2.6 GB available after install
>
> partition details:
> /dev/hda1   5GB         ntfs      /media/windows
> /dev/hda2   512MB     swap
> /dev/hda3   5GB         ext3      /
> /dev/hda4   9.5GB      fat32    /media/shared
>
> extra installs:
>   abiword
why abiword when we have openoffice? Did you install ubuntu or xubuntu?
If you did xubu then ok that mades more sense but why take up more room
when we already have a word processor.
>   gnumeric
>   chromium
>
> edited/fixed:
>   menu.lst to include a splashimage
>   used gconf-editor to add desktop icons
>   turned off bluetooth service
>   enabled auto-login via gdmsetup
>
> questions/issues:
>   1) /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows "AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable".
> The video chipset is nVidia Vanta/Vanta LT.  I noticed in the bios the
> AGP Aperture is set to 64MB so it shouldn't be low on video memory.  Got
> any xorg.conf hacks for the nv driver?
That shouldn't make a difference, the nv driver doesn't allow direct
rendering does it? That's why people use the nvidia one. Anyway the
vanta chipset is older than the legacy nvidia driver supports, the girls
won't be able to use beryl/desktop effects but it's a free pc you can't
ask a whole lot.
>   3) How do we lock down grub so it won't change from kernel updates?
> Can we disable kernel updates all together?
Why? Kernels are updated for a reason. An updated kernel should only add
new entries, not change your splash screen or anything like that.
>   4) I would like to disable the 'windows' icon that's showing on the
> desktop.  Do I kill that in fstab or is there something more elegant in
> gconf-editor?
I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Screenshot?
>   5) How do i suppress the (recovery mode) and memtest86+ from being
> created in bootloader for times when we do go with a kernel upgrade?
again, why?
>   6) Enforce disk quota for each /home/<user>.  Any GUIs for this?  I'm
> only aware of the quota app.
Is this necessary?
>   7) They expect these PCs to go home with the girls so only one user
> name is needed now.  Presently I only have "user1" who can sudo and do
> all kinds of nasty things.  Should we restrict user1's permissions in
> some way?
no, these are the girls pcs give them the freedom to break it as well.
We also don't know what complications this will cause in the future, we
don't want them to be locked out of anything.
>   8) What kind of eye candy should we add?  Any fancy toolbars?  Do we
> want a nice a desktop background?
I would say at most some gnome-theming, I like the default ubuntu human
theme. keep it standard for now and that can be part of what we show
them, how to change the look of your desktop.
- -- Alex Launi
/"\
\ /    	    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 X   Keep e-mail free of HTML and vCards