[Ubuntu PA] digital picture frame w/ DSL

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 10 12:21:01 BST 2007

On 8/10/07, silvertip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a disk for the debian netinstall of 3.1 R4 (Sarge?).  Too bad it's a
> testing release.

3.1 (sarge) is "oldstable" now, it's old and support for it will only
last a few more months, you probably don't want to use this. You
either want to download the netinst of the current stable version -
4.0 (etch) or go with the testing release (lenny). Etch just went
stable in April so the packages are pretty current and you should be
able to get the wireless support you need.

> - no server install b/c it needs a GUI / X windows to display pictures

Installing a GUI after a server install is easy, apt-get install
xserver-xorg && apt-get install fluxbox. The trouble is that Ubuntu
and Debian add things like xscreensaver, GDM and other graphical
things that you probably don't need and will just waste resources.

I highly recommend a minimal (in the case of debian, just install the
base system) or server (in the case of ubuntu) install whichever way
you go.

> - IP cannot be set static (I know the adv, but I can't set it up for just @
> home).

IMHO this is where Debian is at a bit of a disadvantage, I've not been
impressed with the wireless tools for it, so connecting to networks
all over the place can be a bit of a hassle. Depends on your hardware
and what sort of networks you're connecting to, of course.

Cheers,

Lyz/pleia2

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua