[Ubuntu Oregon] team blog

James Bradley jim at oregoncanoesport.com
Thu Nov 20 00:09:56 UTC 2014

Having recently moved our local paddling group's web stuff to a
wordpress.com site, I can say it's really pretty painless. I had been
hosting the group's materials on my old commercial site, but am letting
that go at the end of the year. One advantage of Automattic's
wordpress.com service is that they do all the updates for you. The
disadvantages accrue more to commercial sites than to a simple blog or
non-commercial site. Among the disadvantages are an
"entity.wordpress.com" URL, no choice of plugins, and no ability to
modify the underlying PHP code. The big advantage is, of course, "free
is a very good price." WordPress software also has a pretty good range
tools for maintaining contributor accounts, eliminating spam, etc.

For reference, the site I'm referring to is
http://currentreading.wordpress.com/ The only page that was a pain to
build was the River Conditions page, but along the way I learned some
tricks to simplify the process. I only started the conversion a couple
weeks ago, so it isn't quite feature complete, yet. You might want to
note that the Paddle Trip FAQ and Participantship pages are just MS
Office HTML output, cut and pasted into a WP page, (there is plenty of
extraneous crap in the code, but it's effortless to produce and displays
okay). I imagine LibreOffice output would fare at least as well.
Personally, I do my HTML in Geany, edit it locally, then paste it into a
WP page, but not everyone is HTML conversant.

JVLB