introduction

nickwinlund at comcast.net nickwinlund at comcast.net
Sat May 8 16:28:27 BST 2010

Hey everybody, I'm Nick in the Willamette Valley. I've been on Ubuntu linux for a few years now. I have started using launchpad, dpkg-dev and geany the I.D.E. to review and submit software code. My concerns with Opensource linux today are: Apps, wireless card support outside of DKMS, and getting rid of ACPI/apic/lapic completely -- what is that for in terms of application support? All that is is a holdover from the original OEM days, I believe. Try getting libbonobo up instead for GNOME.

There's got to be a better way in terms of performance, reliability and conformity for helping address that last concern which I made before. With reference to the OSI model, there have been continuous efforts by you all to plug in data as information to send out using the media layer then the next layer; specifically from the Data Link -> the Network on up scaling back down to Transport and Session layers. That "back down" part is where ACPI, I.M.H.O. goes too far with physical demands.

Here's an e-mail from somebody on ubuntu-devel-discuss. Not a bad idea, I think. Comments?  -Nick

---
Subject: Ubuntu needs a new development model
To: ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com

Ubuntu needs a change in direction. I propose that Ubuntu adopt a
development model where only the core operating system, userland, core
libraries, and desktop environment are frozen every 6 months. The
applications would then be freely updated to the newest versions at
all times. Package maintenance and support for the end-user
applications would be provided by the developers themselves. . .