UbuntuOhio Help

Motasim Sakallah m_sakallah at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 06:09:46 BST 2007

He probably followed a guide in the forums or the official howto, which
dictates that in order for the GUI to run at startup without prompting for a
password that the /etc/sudoers files must be edited to grant him the
permission first. Otherwise it'll prompt for a password when booting up. I
agree this is not safe nor practical (specifically for the point mentioned,
which is that the firewall runs in the background regardless of the GUI or
not), but my main concern right now is what errors he's getting when invoking
sudo. If he didn't use "sudo visudo" (and edited it using gedit for example)
chances are he messed the file up preventing him from getting access to root
functions, and hence not being able to use sudo.

P.S. I'm sure you've seen it, but here's fs-security's official how-to on the
topic:

http://www.fs-security.com/docs/faq.php#trayicon

Mo